Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!
The Urbz is another one of those alternate Sims-games (much like Bustin' Out) that, generally speaking, are light RPGs where managing your needs takes the biggest role.
There are 2 versions this time: GBA and DS, with GBA being marginally better.
+ If you've played Bustin' Out you'll see a lot of recurring characters. Look at some of the available friends, Carnies and other small tidbits like the space rocket present at the very beginning. Some might call it cheap recycling of units but I like to think they did it intenionally to please BO players :D
+ The DS version features a extra mission, splicer island questline, that can be started at the very beginning of the game but will likely take very long to finish. Nothing real special but it's a nice extra.
+ The housing system has been redone with better options concerning security etc., 4 seperate "storehouses" and a predetermined rent system (BO featured a rent system that made you pay more for spending more time in your own house and your house depended on the progression in the storyline).
+ Reasonable minigames.
+ Jibba Jabba! Conversation can sometimes lead to the crazies things you've ever heard and it remains fun altough a bit easy for most people.
- Your needs (or motives as they're called here) drop incredibly fast. There are plenty of solutions to this but it's still quite ... aaaaaaaargh! :D
- The control scheme hasn't been paid enough attention to. In all aspects it's obvious they simply took the GBA game and "DS-ified" it, messing up the controls in the process. Don't expect good use of the touch screen either.
- The story is even more BS than it was in BO (where you found out *SPOILER ahead*you're actually an alien and therefor were able to become mayor*end SPOILER*).
- If you want to complete the game fully, you'll be occupying yourself with the Rep groups. However, due to multiple factors affecting this, it's a sloppy business where you'll have to give up in-game relationships, houses, items,... it's just badly done.
- No pets and roomies only in your own Rep Group.
Overall you feel the game was made for the GBA (you'll see it too) which kinda irked me but it's a fun lil' game to pass the game. I wanted to give the game 2 stars due to the GBA thingie but the game honestly deserves three stars so yeah...:D
Game Traits applied to The Urbz: Sims in the City (DS) by Legault